Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 6: Rockspring Coal Mine


My hero...in more ways than one!

Before I begin to talk about the events of today, I have to give a little personal history.  I grew up in Southwest Virginia where coal mining is a big deal.  Our coal mines are mostly underground.  Because of the culture of the area, rarely did I hear arguments opposing coal.  Instead I have grown up seeing "Friends of Coal" bumper stickers and have many friends who work in the mines.  I understand the benefits and risks of working underground.  I personally knew two men who have been killed in mine accidents.  But my first true admiration for miners came from one of the most influential people in my life...Chris Hamilton (aka Coachie), my high school basketball coach.  He is one of the hardest workers and most dedicated people I've ever met.  He (and his wonderful family!!) taught me much more than just how to play basketball, he taught me how to LIVE with passion, dedication, integrity, and a good work ethic.  With that being said...

This morning we visited Rockspring Coal Mine, a division of Alpha Natural Resources in East Lynn, WV.  I have enjoyed each day of our trip, but today was the day I was looking forward to the most.  Ever since hearing Coachie's stories, I have wanted to go underground and today I had that amazing opportunity.  It was as breathtaking as I had imagined...but not nearly as scary as I thought.  We road the cart on tracks a couple of miles underground and then took rubber-wheeled carts a little farther to the site that was currently being mined.  We saw a continuous miner at work, carts dumping the mined coal onto the conveyor belt, roof bolts being put into place, and I even got to walk alongside part of the conveyor belt to see how they inspect it during each shift.  It was truly an experience of a lifetime and I don't even know how to begin putting it into words.  

When we came back outside, the manager showed us a slide show.  On the title page was the picture I have posted above.  I remember thinking, "That's a cool pic."  But then I looked at the faces and realized that Coachie (far left) and his son, Derick (far right), were in it!  That just brought it all home for me...and I don't think I've stopped smiling yet!  It was just a wonderful way to end a great week!!  I can't wait to share everything I've learned with my students, family, and friends.  While coal is essential to our daily living, the influence of a coal miner has forever changed the WAY I will live my life.  That is why I will always have a passion for learning and educating people about coal mining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment